Thursday, January 15, 2009

Career and Business Predictions for 2009

Builders make plans. Entrepreneurs make goals. Gamblers make bets. Fools make predictions.

I am quite sure that some of the following predictions will make me look foolish by the end of 2009, (I’m no expert) just the same, I’d like to share with you an article by self-help guru Michael Masterson of early to rise, I have edited it to make it more compatible with my plans, and maybe I hope also with yours. Which is why I’d like to share with you a few of the actions I plan to take, business-wise, this year.

Prediction: Not only is the sub-prime crisis not over, but we will actually start to feel its effects (Recession) this year, in which case the financial markets will still be in the negative, whatever that means.

What I will do about it: Remind my clients to hang on to their investments, as this is the worst time to redeem, actually this recession is still the best argument for saving. (that’s how I look at it)

Prediction: The information industry will hold up relatively well in 2009, particularly among those businesses that give advice. Haven’t you noticed? Computer stores don’t advertise selling computers-they offer biz solutions.

What I will do about it: Remind myself that information itself is unwanted. Today consumers are looking for advice. In which case I will upgrade from being insurance and Mutual funds Agent to a financial planner, consultant or adviser, and continue to learn everything about the financial markets and being an information marketer.

Prediction: General advertising's decline will accelerate. Dozens of newspaper and magazine publishers will feel the pinch. At the same time, direct (there are a lot of them here at Multiply-take note A-frame) marketing will continue to grow, attracting some of the money formerly spent on general advertising.

What I will do about it: Continue informing pinoys about the virtues of savings through my blogs. I will also recommend to my clients who are in business that they learn more about direct marketing and consider doing business here in the net-maybe I might suggest they sign in @ multiply and see the vibrant economy going on here. (I sure hope the term “vibrant” is not an exaggeration nor a hyperbole)

Prediction: The Internet will continue to become a larger and more active medium for commercial transactions. The Great Recession will make other media – print advertising, direct mail marketing, and TV advertising (to name a few) – less economic. Businesses will continue to spend more of their budget on the Internet.

What I will do about it: Learn more about copy writing and search engine optimization (SEO) web-page design (the new visual marketing) and continue to learn about successful marketing on the Internet. I will recommend everyone to do the same.
Prediction: I saved the best for last-Despite the recession, surfing in the Philippines will continue to grow (in case you didn’t notice, its starting to be an all pinoy showdown last time at the Lanuza surf contest) more surf spots will be discovered (dunno if its good or bad) and Global warming will bring in more waves.

What I will do about it: Duuuuuuuuuuuuh!

No comments: